to do- link this and others to a clarifying DC pointer page, still to make
Connecting to [SHNshare]: A Brief Visual Guide using [DC++]
First, off visit the [DC++]
home and grab the newest version. [DC++]
is free & open source under a GPL.
For more info please visit the [DC++ faq]
and [broadbandreports' DC++ faq]
is an open source client for the Direct Connect protocol. Direct Connect allows you to share files over the internet without restrictions or limits. The client is completely free of advertisements and has a nice, easy to use interface. Firewall and router support is integrated and itís easy and convenient to use functionality like multi-hub connections, auto connections and resuming of downloads.
- At least 1GB shared
- At least 1 slot open for uploads
- Only lossless audio may be shared eg. Shorten FLAC ape mkw
- Only TradeFriendly bands are allowed
- Verify your md5s and ffp before sharing
The hub is maintained by hub operators. They reserve the right to kick and/or ban any users who do not follow the hub rules.
- Video files are prohibited [avi mpeg mpg asp mov wmv and etc]
- Lossy audio is prohibited [mp3 ogg aac wma ogg and etc]
- Do not share wares, apps, copyrighted material, or commercial recordings.
- Please do not share wav files or incomplete file/filesets
- After installing [DC++] run the application.
- Go to your settings under the file tab.
- Under general settings, enter your hub nickname(required), email address, description, and connection type.
- Choose Active mode or Passive mode.
- Choose Active Mode if your ports are not blocked(no firewall/router) and leave the fields empty.
- Choose Active Mode and enter your external ip and forwarded port. If you are have a firewall/router BecomeActive.
- Choose Passive Mode if you have no port control and they are blocked.
- Enter your default downloads folder and temporary downloads folder(optional).
- If you need to limit downloads and downstream bandwidth, toggle accordingly.
- Add your folder(s) containing at least 1 GB of TradeFriendly lossless audio.
- Set your upload slots to 1 or more depending on how much upstream bandwidth you have.
- Click OK to exit and apply changes.
Connecting to the hub
- After configuring your settings go to your favorite hubs under the view tab.
- Click new favorite to enter the hub address and edit properties.
- Enter the name of the hub(SHNshare.org).
- Enter the address to connect to(www.shnshare.org).
- Enter a description for your reference.
- Leave the other Identification fields blank to use your default settings.
- Click OK to apply the changes.
Enter the hub
- Click connect to enter the hub. NOTE: You will be denied access if you are not sharing 1GB of music and/or have no slots open for uploads.
Using the hub
- Once you have successfully entered the hub you will recieve a welcome message from Oversoul(BOT/Hub Security).
- The left panel is a main chat sort of like IRC.
- The right panel contains all users currently connected to the hub.
- The bottom panel displays your current transfers in progress.
- Chat as you please, usually there are several users in the hub main chat. Please feel free to ask questions, post ISOs, send links.
- The are serveral Hub Operators in the hub. Send any issues of concern or any questions to them at any time.
- Spamming and/or harrassment is not tolerated and could result in a permanent ban.
- To send a private message to a particular user right click on the user in the right panel.
- Only you and the person recieving the message will see this chat.
Searching the Hub and Downloading Music
Search the Hub
- Under the view menu, select search or click the maginfying glass icon located at the top of your screen.
- Enter a search string eg. ph 97 11 22 or gd 74 06 18.
- Click Search. This will bring up any search hits in the main window.
- Right click on a file to get that users file list or to download the file.
View a users filelist
- Right click on a user and select get file list.
- After viewing the filelist right click on a show folder to download its contents and add them to your queue.
- This displays your current downloads and uploads in progress.
- Also the speed, percentage, and file size are displayed.
- No slots available simply means that the user is currently uploading to other people.
Searching for alternates
- When you download a folder all of its contents are queued. Like a FTP queue.
- It is possible to download the same show from several users at the same time.
- Go to your Download Queue under the view menu or by clicking on the folder icon with a down arrow and clock.
- Right click on a file and select search for alternates.
- You can also set priority for files in your queue.
- Finished items will be automatically removed from your queue.
- Finished Downloads and Finished Uploads are logged.
remember to ask any questions you have in main chat or visit [SHNshare.org]